sumnone.com

Totally Nothing...Do-Dads and Fix-Its For the Web.

Aux Wi-Fi Crashing when Plugging in wired U-Verse TV Receiver

AT&T U-Verse is a pretty decent service overall. However, their wireless access point (WAP) that connects to the main router is B/G and limited to 54mbps (in theory), but reality is only showing ~3mbps, even when sitting six feet away with no obstacles.

I have an older Linksys WRT400N router running DD-WRT that's simply connected as a hard-wired switch/WAP (b/g/n) and much faster and more stable than the WAP they provide us. I simply ran a CAT6 cable from the back of the main U-Verse box/router/gateway to one of the ports on the Linksys and turned off DHCP on the Linksys. That's it. When this is working typically, wifi speeds max out the 15mbps that we are subscribed at no matter where you are in the house.     

I try to hard-wire everything if possible. However, whenever I would try to hard-wire their TV receiver, it would always crash the wifi on the Linksys. The TV receiver uses the IPTV protocol and is basically doing multi-casting, which is the root of the entire problem. So, long story short I set up the firewall on my Linksys (DD-WRT) to drop all the multicasting traffic on the atheros (wireless) interfaces.

If you login to DD-WRT, and go to Administration > Commands and put the following in the box:

insmod ebtables
insmod ebtable_filter
insmod ebt_pkttype
insmod ebt_ip
ebtables -A FORWARD -o ath0 -p ipv4 --pkttype-type multicast --ip-source ! 192.168.1.0/255.255.255.0 -j DROP
ebtables -A FORWARD -o ath1 -p ipv4 --pkttype-type multicast --ip-source ! 192.168.1.0/255.255.255.0 -j DROP

Click Save Startup, reboot the Linksys, and you're done.

Other examples on the internet, show similar solutions using eth1 or eth0 in the last two lines as well as other options like "-A OUTPUT", and it doesn't hurt to include them, but, the only thing that was definitively required for my setup to work like initially, is what's above. I think the --ip-source and -p switches may not be required as well, but again, it doesn't hurt much. 

Life is good again, even though I don't have many wi-fi devices hooked up at any given moment. Hopefully this saves someone a lot of the frustration I dealt with for days in solving this.

Windows 10 page_fault_in_nonpaged_area

I was trying to upgrade an older Dell computer to Windows 10 from Windows 7 and I was continually getting page_fault_in_nonpaged_area. Sometimes (maybe one out of five times and depending on the troubleshooting step too) I would also get "System Thread Exception not Handled." I went through two days of troubleshooting and probably reset Windows 10 at least five times, 50 or more reboots, before finally finding the solution (i.e. problem). Keep in mind I was only half paying attention for the first day as I was allowing it to do it's thing, while I did other things.

Having seen this error message in the past (going all the way back to NT4), I immediately thought, it's bad RAM. When that turned out to not be the case. I thought bad blocks on the hard drive. I reset the BIOS and every other trick I could think of. However, none of those thoughts paid dividends other than to eliminate them as the issue. 

I was finally able to get a restore point immediately after a reset and step forward one step at a time (as well as eliminate having to reset any more), disabling and enabling the network adapter all the while (so windows can't push it's mandatory updates or otherwise change something in between reboots).

The problem showed up before any Windows updates were installed and after all devices were remedied in the Device Manager. After removing an old NVidia 8600 GTS and enabling the default onboard video, the issue still prevailed.  The only things left was an old Soundblaster Audigy card with a front expansion panel. Low and behold, that stupid sound card turned out to be the cause of all my headaches.

In hindsight, after receiving the error, I should have removed any custom devices and moved forward from there, installing one device at a time. But, I've never seen this type of device cause that type of error (as far as I can remember). Live and learn. Hopefully, this might save someone some time.